Video showing the three new variants of the new Volkswagen T6 California. While the UK right hand drive is only available in the Beach and Ocean models, this latest incarnation of the Volkswagen classic promises to be every bit as exciting as the original. You can find the UK specifications of these fantastic campervans by visiting the following link:
After a long summer of waiting we can finally reveal the correct information on the T6 California for the UK market – the available extras, fuel efficiency, engine data, pricing structure and more…
STANDARD UK SPECIFICATIONS
From what we can gather, the new T6 California is a significant improvement over previous models, including an uprated sound system, improved interior and dashboard, greater security, better lighting and overall improved performance.
Therefore we are pleased to be able to present you with this, the official T6 Volkswagen California data sheet as available for the UK market.
There are a few noteworthy changes to the overall feel of the T6 when compared with the T5, with many of these being aesthetic rather than functional. However, we can briefly summarise the following information regarding the engines and model availability:
- 2 models, the VW CALIFORNIA BEACH and the VW CALIFORNIA OCEAN (replacing the California SE)
- 3 diesel engines, all Euro 6
- 2.0 litre 102 PS available on the VW California Beach
- 2.0 litre 150 PS available on both models
- 2.0 litre 204 PS available on the VW California Ocean
There has been no news on introducing a petrol model to the UK market, but this is still being considered for the future.
For those who don’t want to download the data sheet, we can tell you that the prices will start at £37,657 (on the road, including VAT) for the 102 PS California Beach model and increasing to £54,975 (on the road, including VAT) for the 204 PS California Ocean model.
Not included in the data sheet, there will also be a multitude of optional extras ranging from newly designed 18 inch alloy wheels to an uprated touchscreen digital entertainment system, plus a winter pack featuring the new heated front windscreen!
Other optional extras include child seats, awnings, uprated alternator and battery, lockable storage and much more too.
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will start taking orders for the new California from the 3rd August 2015 with the first deliveries taking place by the end of the year.
Please watch this space for details of our forthcoming hands-on review and exclusive test drive.
Following on from our earlier article about the release of the new Volkswagen T6, we now have some information on the forthcoming California Range…
While we are still awaiting the specifications for the UK market, we managed to grab a brochure from VW in Germany that you can download HERE.
Please bear in mind that this may not be the same as any forthcoming UK models, and as such we are unsure whether the Whitewood interior of the new ‘California Coast’ or the Darkwood finish of the ‘California Ocean’ will be available in this country. As soon as we have more info we’ll be sure to let you know.
The same also applies for other features and engine specifications – as soon as Volkswagen have released the full UK spec we will be sure to announce it here!
The following is a very rough transliteration from the German Website – not being German speakers, we’ve attempted this with a mixture of Google Translate and previously obtained information from the official T6 press release we received last month.
The new California promises to create a great impression from every angle because the new, sharpened design provides even the most impressive vision, even in the shade. With new headlamps and rear lights with optional high-efficiency LEDs. Making every journey a brilliant experience.
Latest engines with low fuel consumption
New TDI engines
The latest generation of engines offer particularly low fuel consumption. Thus, a lower average fuel consumption of 6.3 l / 100 km¹ / ² with average emissions of 164 g CO₂- / km¹ / ² possible. It goes without saying that the new TDI engines follow the Euro 6 emissions standard. Other engines will employ this at a later date.
- California, 2.0 l TDI engine with 62 kW, fuel consumption in l / 100 km: 7.5 urban, extra-urban 5.6, combined 6.3. CO₂ emissions in g / km: combined 164; Efficiency class: A.
- California, 2.0 l TDI engine with 75 kW, fuel consumption in l / 100 km: 7.5 urban, extra-urban 5.6, combined 6.3. CO₂ emissions in g / km: combined 164; Efficiency class: A.
BlueMotion Technology is standard on all the new generation of TDI engines with the Euro 6 emissions standard. The equipment includes: start-stop system, brake energy regeneration and low rolling resistance tyres.
DCC Adaptive Chassis Control
To improve the driving characteristics the optional chassis control can be combined with Dynamic Cruise Control by selecting NORMAL, COMFORT or SPORT modes.
Welcome to the Hotel California
The new cockpit
The new high quality interior has plenty to offer. The button layout on the optional multifunction steering wheel leather allows you to easily operate the new radio or navigation system with intuitive touchscreen display.
New “infotainment” systems
Particularly innovative are the new infotainment systems: With Car-Net App Connect, selected apps on your smartphone will be mirrored on the screen of the radio system.
Special comfort features also offer numerous online mobile services of Car-Net Guide. The new Volkswagen Media Control enables your smartphone or tablet to work as a remote control for the radio or navigation system.
The new system amplifies communication between your companions in the passenger compartment. And the new mobile phone interface has your smartphone always offers crystal clear reception.
The new interior
The fully functional kitchenette
The new bedroom
When night falls, you can transform the new California in just a few simple steps to a bedroom with up to four beds: two in the “downstairs” on the folded bench seat and two more in the “upstairs” in the pop up roof bed with slatted frame bed with foam padding.
Safety and Assistance Systems
The standard multi-collision brake guides the braking operation to ideally prevent collisions. It becomes active when two independent sensors detect an accident. After a short delay, the vehicle is braked intermittently to 10 km / h, the driver can at any time take control and override this.
ACC Automatic Distance Control
The optional cruise control automatically adjusts the speed of the preceding vehicle while keeping the distance set by the driver.
By means of a radar system, the optional environment observation system “Front Assist” with “City Emergency Braking” identifies critical distance situations and helps to shorten the stopping distance. It warns the driver in dangerous situations detected optically and acoustically and with a brake pressure.
Lane change assistant “Side Assist”
This optional system uses sensors to warn about vehicles detected in blind spots for safer lane changing.
Rear view camera
The optional rear view camera makes parking easier by displaying a picture of the area behind the vehicle on the display of the radio or navigation system. Additional static guides support the parking operation.
The Park Pilot warns when parking acoustically identified obstacles in front and behind and shows the distance to the obstacle visually on the display.
Using visual and acoustic signals, this system detects discrepancies in the driving style and recommends the driver stops for a break.
Fog lamps with integrated cornering
Helps ease fears in bad weather and ensures optimum visibility when steering on a curved road.
This information was retrieved from the German Volkswagen website and as such is copyright Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles 2015.
Finally, after months of speculation, we can now reveal the face of the next generation Volkswagen Transporter.
TheVWCalifornia.com, in association with CamperVanTastic, were fortunate enough to receive an exclusive invitation to the launch party, held at the home of Dutch importer Ben Pon, who laid the foundation stone with the first sketches for this iconic van, April 23, 1947.
In a word – Awesome!
The new Volkswagen T6 will come packed with many new features, and whilst not as strikingly different as some might expect, this already proven chassis will also offer ingenious new safety enhancements, new driver assistance systems and redesigned styling, resulting in the NEW T6 punching well above its class.
Furthermore VW are offering some striking two colour options for that stand out and retro look! Take a peek at pictures from this exclusive launch event below…
Options and details at a glance
- Sharper, more focused and distinctive design, with strong pronounced lines to both front and rear of van, new 16,17 and 18 inch alloy wheels and new LED headlights, taillights and number plate lighting.
- Added comfort and convenience options including new MQB steering wheel, electric elevating tailgate, 12 way electrically adjustable seating with memory, interior footwell lighting and heated front windscreen.
- Cruise control with an adaptive chassis control system dubbed “Dynamic Cruise Control” (DCC) that allows the driver to select from three driving modes: Comfort, Normal and Sport.
- Radar operated “Front Assist”. The new Volkswagen T6 also offers an optional safety feature called “City Emergency Braking” that can detect obstacles and apply the brakes in an emergency. In order to minimise the risk related to this scenario, the Automatic Post-Collision Braking System is provided as standard in the Transporter.
- Light Assist option – Camera-controlled switching on and off of the main beam makes driving easier and safer.
- New Parking Camera that activates automatically when reverse gear is selected.
- A “Driver Alert System” is also available as an option. It recognises any deviations from normal driving behaviour and recommends the driver takes a break when this appears to be necessary. During the journey the optionally available electronic voice enhancer helps drivers to keep their eyes focussed on what is happening on the road. Without any turning of the head, the driver’s voice and that of the person they are talking to is automatically amplified over the radio system’s loudspeakers
- A new “Infotainment Screen” features proximity sensors that can detect when the driver or front passenger waves their hand close to a touch screen and automatically switch from display to input mode. The same sensors will allow the driver to use swiping motions to scroll through a menu or browse their media library.
- To celebrate the Volkswagen Transporter’s 65 year history, a special “Generation Six” Multivan model will also be offered at launch in Europe that will feature classic two-tone paint options, Alcantara upholstery, chrome trim, LED headlights and 18-inch alloy wheels.
UK T6 Engine Specifications
UK T6 models will include a completely new generation of Volkswagen’s 2.0 litre TDi engine with improved fuel economy, ruggedness and longevity.
- 2.0-litre TDI 62kW / 84PS (5-speed gearbox)
- 2.0-litre TDI 75kW / 102PS (5-speed gearbox)
- 2.0-litre TDI 103kW / 140PS (6-speed man / 7-speed DSG)
- 2.0-litre TDI 132kW / 180PS (6-speed man / 7-speed DSG)
- 2.0-litre TDI 62kW / 84PS (5-speed gearbox)
- 2.0-litre TDI 75kW / 102PS (5-speed gearbox)
- 2.0-litre TDI 110kW / 150PS (6-speed man / 7-speed DSG)
- 2.0-litre TDI 150kW / 204PS (6-speed man / 7-speed DSG)
- For the European Mainland, 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol TSi engine with 110kW and 150kW will also be available.
- All UK EU5 and EU6 engines will feature BlueMotion Technology as standard.
- Panel Van / kombi – all four EU5 and the EU6 102PS engines will be available from launch.
- Shuttle / Caravelle / California – all four EU6 engines will be available at launch.
The Volkswagen T6 California is expected to be available for purchase or hire later this year – please bookmark this website and check back for updates soon!